Access to the following sources may be available through your local public or academic library. For information on how to obtain a library card, and for additional information on using libraries in BC, please visit our Getting Access to Library Resources page.
Sometimes it can be useful when researching consumer behaviour and other marketing topics with psychological dimensions to consult article databases in that research area. This is an online guide to print and online resources about psychology in the UBC Library collection. UBC affiliates will have access to all the resources listed.
How to access: Check your local public or academic library to see about access. If you are a UBC student, staff, faculty or in-person library visitor you can access this resource.
While you can search this website only some Canadian libraries provide full-text access to the market research reports on industries and demographics for North American industries. They can range from 50 to 400+ pages in length, and contain charts, tables, and graphs, and key facts. Marketresearch.com has varied industry coverage and includes US and international information.
- Freedonia Focus Reports. (2018, September 1). Bread & Bakery Products: United States.
- Freedonia Focus Reports. (2018, July 1). Grain-based Foods: United States.
- Packaged Facts. (2018, June 29). Grain and Bakery Innovation: Culinary Trend Tracking Series.
- Packaged Facts. (2015, December 11). Sweet Baked Goods: U.S. Market Trends.
How to access: If you are a UBC student, staff, faculty or in-person library visitor you can access this resource.
WARC has case studies from major companies and advertising agencies, as well as articles from leading advertising journals and unpublished papers. It also includes company profiles, advertising spending statistics, and demographic and economic data.
- Bread, Cake, and Related Products (American Industry Overview). (2011). Encyclopedia of American Industries. Retrieved from: https://www.warc.com/content/article/gale-eai/bread_cake_and_related_products_american_industry_overview/95433
- Cookies and Crackers (American Industry Overview). (2011). Gale American Industry Overviews. Retrieved from: https://www.warc.com/content/article/gale-eai/cookies_and_crackers_american_industry_overview/95445
- Frozen Bakery Products (except bread) (American Industry Overview). (2011). Encyclopedia of American Industries. Retrieved from: https://www.warc.com/content/article/gale-eai/frozen_bakery_products_except_bread_american_industry_overview/95452
- Inside the “Free From” Food Movement: Driving Growth in the Health and Wellness Space. (2017). Euromonitor Strategy Briefing. Retrieved from: https://www.warc.com/content/article/euromonitor-strategy/inside_the_free_from_food_movement_driving_growth_in_the_health_and_wellness_space/113356
- Really Good Premium Breads. (2013). Design Business Association, Gold, Design Effectiveness Awards. Retrieved from: https://www.warc.com/content/article/dba/really_good_premium_breads/98757
- Sharp, F. (2014). How New York Bakery Company Used the Power of New York to Get People Buying Bagels. Institute of Practitioners in Advertising, Entrant, IPA Effectiveness Awards. Retrieved from: https://www.warc.com/content/article/ipa/how_new_york_bakery_company_used_the_power_of_new_york_to_get_people_buying_bagels/102488
- Specialty Bakeries (Emerging Industry Overview). (2011). Encyclopedia of Emerging Industries. Retrieved from: https://www.warc.com/content/article/gale-eei/specialty_bakeries_emerging_industry_overview/95660
- Weston Bakeries – Gadoua Multigo: Outsmarting the Competition. (2011). Institute of Communication Agencies, Bronze, Canadian Advertising Success Stories. Retrieved from: https://www.warc.com/content/article/cca/weston_bakeries_gadoua_multigo_outsmarting_the_competition/93138
- Weston Bakeries – Gadoua Moelleux. (2011). Institute of Communication Agencies, Bronze, Canadian Advertising Success Stories. Retrieved from: https://www.warc.com/content/article/cca/weston_bakeries_gadoua_moelleux/93139
- What’s Working in Biscuits, Bread and Cakes. (2019). WARC Category Intelligence. Retrieved from: https://www.warc.com/content/article/warc-wwi/whats_working_in_biscuits_breads_and_cakes/125736
Public Opinion Polls
Links to Canadian, U.S. and international polls. Includes polls on consumer goods.
Roper Center for Public Opinion
Preserves the data from polls conducted by many leading survey organizations for the use of researchers, students, and journalists. Includes a section on how to analyze polls. Only for those affiliated with UBC.
Sometimes doing your own market research is the only way to learn about your potential customers. If this is the case, you may need to conduct focus groups, interviews, surveys, or some other form of data collection. But before you commit time and energy to this kind of research, be sure to try the sources listed in this section.
CANSIM | Statistics Canada's key socioeconomic database. Information is updated daily. This formerly fee-based service is now available for free.
- Change in Total Sugars Consumption Among Canadian Children and Adults
- Detailed Food Spending, Canada, Regions and Provinces
- Monthly Average Retail Prices for Food and other Selected Products
The Daily - Statistics Canada
The premier source for Canadian statistical information, including census information. Search 'The Daily' releases by subject to identify corresponding census tables, latest news, and publications. Similarly, you can browse by data source, including surveys & questionnaires relevant to your market research, which also link to census tables, latest news and publications.