Associations & Magazines Are Great Sources of Industry Information
In this section we have gathered some of the most popular information sources, such as trade journals, magazines, blogs, and association websites. Industry information is always changing. For the latest news, current issues and popular opinions, try following one or more of these sources. In addition, interacting with the websites that provide this information through commenting and asking questions may also provide you with more information.
Trade associations often publish free industry newsletters that are excellent sources of information for your business plan. Such newsletters often have articles that cover in-depth topics on business management, manufacturing practices, how-tos, and current industry news.
- Aerospace Industry Association of BC
- Accelerate Okanagan Technology Association
- Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC (ASTTBC)
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC
- BC Inventors Society
- BC Broadband Association BC Technology Industry Association
- BCNET (builds and maintains high-performance networks)
- BC Technology Industry Association
- BC Technology Social Venture Partners
- Canadian Advanced Technology Alliance (CATA)
- Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB)
- Canadian Information Processing Society (CIPS)
- Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters (CME)
- DigiBC: The Digital Media and Wireless Association of BC
- LifeSciences British Columbia
- Monte Jade Science and Technology Association (Western Canada)
- New Media BC
- Society for Canadian Women in Science and Technology (SCWIST)
- Society for Technical Communication (STC) Canada; West Coast Chapter
- Vancouver Island Advanced Technology Centre (VIATeC)
- Wireless Innovation Network of BC (WINBC)
- Women in Communications and Technology
ASAE Gateway to Associations Directory
Use this directory to search for an association by name, interest area, or international geographic location (including Canada and BC). You can also search using a combination of various fields.
Magazines / Trade Journals
Trade journals (often called magazines or trade publications) can be very useful in helping you find current articles relating to business research. Contact your local research library to determine which trade journal subscriptions they have. There are also free trade publications that you can access online.
BC Tech | BCTech is a key source of local information, where you can find B.C. high-tech companies and their major suppliers all in one place. The editorial stories cover the tech sector, with industry-focused features as well as profiles of high-tech leaders and pioneers.
BIV Book of Lists | Top 100 high-tech companies in B.C. Contact your local library to see if they have a copy!
EDN | Electronics, Design, Strategy News is an American publication that covers hot topics and design innovation in the electronics industry along with business strategy.
IT World Canada | Online source of in depth IT coverage addressing Canadian specific industry challenges and innovation.
LifeSciences British Columbia | LifeSciences British Columbia is the official annual publication of LifeSciences B.C., the industry association representing B.C.'s life science community. Editorial content is focused on B.C.'s diverse biotechnology sectors, from basic research to pharmaceuticals to genomics to medical devices and more.
Try searching Ulrichs Periodical Directory to develop a list of important trade publications in your industry.