Many people would like to go back to school, but for a variety of reasons (time, money, etc…) they are unable to. This is the same for small business owners or entrepreneurs who may wish to brush up on some aspect of starting or running their business or who have never had an opportunity to take classes on business. That’s where a relatively recent phenomenon, the MOOC, comes in.
What is a MOOC? The MacMillan Dictionary defines MOOC, or Massive Open Online Course, as “a high-level course of study offered via the Internet in such a way that a large number of people can follow it”.
There are an increasing number of MOOCs on business topics available either for free or a low cost. As you do not have to be in a physical classroom, MOOCs can offer the flexibility many business owners need.
We have compiled a list of a few of the places you can find MOOCs on business topics as well as some specific courses that may be of interest.
Where to find MOOCs:
- Coursera – “Coursera is an education company that partners with the top universities and organizations in the world to offer courses online for anyone to take, for free.”
- edX – “EdX was created for students and institutions that seek to transform themselves through cutting-edge technologies, innovative pedagogy, and rigorous courses.”
- Udacity – “Udacity offers accessible, affordable, engaging classes that anyone can take, anytime.”
- OnlineCollegeCourses.com – Offers a database of online courses, many of which are free.
- Introduction to Business
- How to Build a Startup with Steve Blank
- An Introduction to Business Cultures
- Introduction to Finance with Gautam Kaul
- Fundamentals of Business Analysis
- Business Administration
- Taxes and Business Strategy
- Testing Your Business Concept
- Strategic Management I
- Advanced Managerial Communication
- Advanced Writing Seminar
- Info Tech and Communication in the Electronic Age
- Intellectual Property and Information Law
- Media, Education, and the Marketplace
- Dynamic Leadership: Using Improvisation in Business
- Academic Strategies for the Business Professional
Have you taken a MOOC? If yes, what was it on and who was it through? Was it useful? Would you recommend taking a MOOC?